How do I start this blog post? I'm still coming to grips with how big this event was. On Sunday we had a custom handover with Theresa's biological family. We went to their place, joined by Rob and Jemma, and Ant and Matt. As well as the family, we were also joined by the pastor and his wife who got the family in contact with us before Theresa was born. So we were all gathered together. Lots of relatives had come from their home island to be a part of this occasion.
Then we were called to sit next to the Patriarch of the family and his wife, along with his sisters and brother. He got out ten strings of shell money and explained what it represents - the ten strings, the ten commandments, making what would happen as firm as that. The black shells - our sin, but the red thread is Jesus' blood which gives us redemption.

Then we all held the strings of shell money and lifted it up while Theresa's birth mother carried her under the strings.

She held our baby for a few moments and I cried as I realised just how big it has been for her to willingly and wholeheartedly give her baby to us.

Then she placed my baby in my arms and sat next to us and the Patriarch led us in prayer. Afterwards we had an opportunity to say a few words. Tears choked us, but all we really wanted to say was that we are so thankful for their gift to us, and that we promise to bring her up in the fear of the Lord.
It was so special. A defining moment in Theresa's life, I think. I'm sure the 2nd of October will always be a day of celebration for us. These kinds of events, exactly like the legal events, confirm more and more, Theresa's place in our family.
Afterwards we celebrated with a feast, meeting the family and talking. Then we went home, and I put our precious baby to bed.
Our precious baby.



Wow Lauretta, what an amazing post. Thanks for sharing this with us! Beautiful photos too - I love that one of all of you. : )
ReplyDeleteCongratulations, Jair and Lauretta.
ReplyDeleteMark Munroe
Praise the Lord for His wonderful blessing to you and your family. Unless you live in your (and this) culture you can never truly understand the privilege of what has happened in your lives. May God's name be forever praised and my your daughter grow to be a woman of great godliness and a servant of the most high God. Wally and Sjannette in PNG
ReplyDeleteCongratulations to you,
ReplyDeleteMay God bless you in raising this child in the fear of the Lord and Theresa in having wonderful parents.Thank you for sharing this with us.Cees and Anneke
A beautiful post - thanks for giving us a glimpse into that special day.
ReplyDeleteGorgeous photos too.
Hartelijk gefeliciteerd Lauretta en Jair, erg mooie foto's
ReplyDeletegroetjes Oom Jan en Tante Marina en Eline